Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A New Change

As I have previously mentioned before, I have been trying to live a healthy lifestyle for a few months now. This has become very near and dear to my heart since my friend was diagnosed with Diabetes. I also have a high risk of developing Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Hypertension. Let's not forget that Breast Cancer may try to show it's ugly face again in the future, so being healthy is a must.

My eating habits have changed and become a lot more stable. I eat tons of fresh fruit and veggies, and I only eat out once a week (I'm still struggling with this one). When eating out, I try to avoid going to the place that is known for their "Golden Arches."


I've done some research and talked to Nehemiah's pediatrician. I have decided that we are going to remove red meat from our diet as much as possible. We rarely eat red meat already, so this shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The risks of eating red meat out weigh the benefits, so I think this is a great choice for us.


The reason for this change. First, I want Nehemiah to grow up with healthy eating habits. I'm very particular about what's put into his body and hopefully once he's older, he will be too. This by no means is an easy task! We live in a world where fast and easy seem to be the way. There are sweet temptations everywhere, which could be the reason grocery shopping is difficult for me to do when Miah is with me.


I love a good steak, but recently I have had some issues. There are certain foods that I can't eat because I can picture the animal in my head...duck, veal, lamb. On my way to and from work, I pass a dairy farm with lots of cows. The more I look at these animals the more disgusted I get knowing that I sometime eat them for dinner! And don't let me make the mistake of hearing one moo. I go into straight freak out mode.

I'm not sure how removing red meat from our lives will work out in the long run, but we can only take this step one day at a time. Nehemiah won't be missing out on any nutrients because we are still eating chicken, fish, and turkey. The pediatrician also recommended that I add more green veggies to his diet. This is an easy fix seeing that he loves lettuce, asparagus, and broccoli.
Just as with any change, this will take time. I haven't actually sorted out all the meats we won't eat, but I'm definately open to eliminating any that we don't need. Wish us luck on this new travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Taking The Time To Comment! I appreciate What You Have To Say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...